Since I've been piercing for almost 17 years, I'm technically the "senior piercer" at Saint Sabrina's. You'll find me in the piercing room a little less than some of our other piercers, as I'm also the General Manager of the studio. However, I still love piercing and I am almost always available for special-request appointments.
In addition to Milwaukee, I've worked in Madison, WI and Cleveland, OH and I've done guest piecing spots at a number of studios throughout the country. I've been at Saint Sabrina's for almost 10 years now, and as cliché as it might sound, I'm very happy to call it "home".
I consider myself blessed to have had the opportunity to do something that I absolutely love, and feel passionate about, for the past 16 years. Getting a piercing is a unique experience for each person and I get to share that experience with each of my clients. That's pretty damn cool.
During the past 16 years, I've been fortunate to be involved in the following activities, organizations and piercing-related happenings:
- Earlier this year Elayne Angel, a pioneer in the piercing profession and author of The Piercing Bible listed me on her piercer referral page. While this doesn't mean I trained with Elayne, it is an honor to have her feel confident in referring clients to me.
- Member of the Association of Professional Piercers: 1996-present
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Association of Professional Piercers (APP): 1996-1998
- Head of the APP Advisory Panel (2007-present)
- Instructor - APP Annual Conference: 2003-2009; Co-instructor - Medical Risk Assessment and Piercing Troubleshooting (2007, 2008 and 2009)
- Committee member for statewide regulations on body piercing - State of Wisconsin: 1997
- Member/Contributor - Body Modification Ezine (BME) AskBME staff.
- Interviewed by Body Modification Ezine (BME),
- While living and working in Cleveland, I worked extensively with Health Educators, Inc., helping develop many of their piercing-related educational classes and presentations.
- I have spoken to doctors and nurses at local hospitals, including Abbott-Northwestern and a conference for Minnesota Emergency Room nurses, to help them better understand the history and nature of body piercing, as well as how to safely deal with body piercings and body jewelry in a medical setting.
- In March, 2007, I testified as an expert witness before the State of Minnesota House of Representatives' Labor and Commerce committee, in support of legislation that would require parental consent for anyone under the age of 18 to receive a body piercing.
Derek's current piercing schedule is listed below. Due to his duties as General Manager, this schedule may change without notice. If you would like to be pierced by Derek specifically, it's a good idea to call the studio and make sure he will be available at the day and time yo would like.
Tuesday: by request
Wednesday: by request
Thursday: by request
Friday: by request
Saturday: by request