While our suggested aftercare is based upon years of practical experience, and should be safe and effective for almost everyone, we are not doctor's or medical professionals. None of the advice we provide should be considered advice from a medical professional. There is no way for us to determine if this method will work best for you. If you are aware of any skin allergies or sensitivities you may have, please discuss them with your tattoo artist BEFORE your tattoo is started. They should be able to suggest some alternative products or methods for caring for your tattoo. A tattoo that is properly cared for can look beautiful and vibrant for a lifetime.
Each of our artists may have slight variations on the details of how they suggest you care for your tattoo and they will discuss those with you at the time of your tattoo. In general however, our suggested aftercare is as follows:
- Leave bandage on tattoo for 12 - 24 hours
- Gently remove bandage. Soaking the bandage in warm water, or in the shower, will help the bandage come off easier.
- DO NOT re-bandage the tattoo.
- Gently wash the tattoo with warm water and a mild soap.
- Pat the tattoo dry with a clean, soft towel or paper towel.
- Apply a VERY LIGHT layer of A&D Ointment to the tattoo. After 5 minutes, remove all excess A&D Ointment from the tattoo with a clean paper towel.
- Wash and repeat application of A&D Ointment once every hour for the first day, once every 2 hours the second day and once every 3 hours for the third day. Be sure to wash tattoo before re-applying ointment.
- After the third day, apply a VERY LIGHT layer of A &D ointment when tattoo becomes dry and flaky, until the tattoo is healed.
- Typical healing time for a tattoo is 10-14 days, although it may take up to 30 days before the skin completely returns to normal.